I once read that blessings are a hug from God and counting your blessings is giving God a hug back. I had a challenge earlier this month to daily write one thing that I am thankful for until Thanksgiving day arrived. I have been faithful to that challenge but once I started writing them I began thinking of so many things, so I decided to add to my daily list by listing thirty random things. Here we go:
- baby squirrels- Apparently these little guys are quite the popular internet search…and because I posted one little photo of a cute little baby squirrel in February, my blog gets a great number of hits daily just to look at my little squirrel. It is a great confidence booster when I look at my visitor numbers… I’m thankful that they help keep my blog alive. I will definitely be embarrassed if I find out that “Baby Squirrel” is some rapper’s name or something like that
- creativity- I’m a person who loves to create…. whether it be a story or a sculpted caricature of someone….It is what I love to do… I’m thankful for a creative Creator and amazed at what He created
- gloves- don’t have to touch things that are yucky if I don’t want….
- crocs- the heavenly shoe of the wide-footed human like me… cavemen would have loved them…
- my parents- by example they taught me how to work through arguments, dance, laugh, love each other and love God and church….
- my husband- he makes me laugh, is a great dad, incredibly dependable and is just an all around great husband…
- my children- such a great gift to be called “Mom”… they bring an unexpected joy… even when they are old enough to roll their eyes at you.
- bug spray- genius invention…. Take that, Mr. Mosquito!
- grace- thankful that I don’t get what I deserve…. because I can never do enough to get the good portion of deserving all by myself….
- the alphabet- abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz…. may be a lot of them but thankful there are no ~ or ` or other symbols over the tops of them….
- medicine- had I been living 2000 years ago, I can imagine that without medicine I probably would have been one on the side of the road in need of healing when Christ walked by
- health- thankful that, though I should focus more on taking care of myself (I see a New Year’s resolution here) I can walk, talk, and do most anything I want to do because I have good health
- my home- I’ll confess…. there are times when I wish I had a bigger yard or one more bedroom or a live in maid, but I am blessed to have what I have and know it
- my co-workers– not too many have co-workers that feel like family…. I do and am thankful
- my family- I’ve already mentioned my parents so I’m looking at the other ones that I call family….no siblings but cousins, aunts and uncles… brothers and sisters-in- law, father and mother-in-law(deceased- but wonderfully remembered), a wonderful step mother-in-law…. so many great memories and wonderful little bundles of precious baby cousins
- my friends- some to laugh with, some to weep with, some both, some who have passed in and out of my life, all have a special place in my heart
- waterfalls- not sure why they are so beautiful but it regardless of their size…. they are wonderful to enjoy
- cute animals-baby squirrels aren’t the only little things that are so cute… puppies, kittens, baby rabbits, baby bears, etc… well, except baby narwhals
- laughter- not at the expense of others but wholesome laughter might just bring the world together
- sense of humor- glad I have one, even if I am the only one who thinks I’m funny
- those who have sacrificed- sometimes I wonder why I live where I live…. how did I get to be so blessed? Then I think about it …. not just happenstance that we live the way we do… some fought against much so we can have much freedom
- antibacterial items- can you imagine surgery without it?? that’s what I’m talking about
- the beauty of seasons- all goes back to creativity… I love red/orange leaves and the bright gray sky just before a good snow..and a loaded tree of cherry blossoms…. and the heat of sun on the concrete in the summer
- clay- maybe you have to be me to be thankful for it but it provides me with hours of entertainment
- computers- can’t imagine having to type this blog on a typewriter or by hand…. also am thankful that they have gotten smaller and smarter
- spices-cinnamon, garlic, salt, pepper…… just to name a few ……without them it would just be sugar toast for breakfast, bread with spaghetti….you get the picture
- chocolate-enough said
- peanuts- peanuts make peanut butter…. protein and yummy
- fruit-something good for you and tastes good too…. bananas, fuji apples, grapes, kiwi, raisins, watermelon, actually all melons, strawberries, cherries(my personal favorite)….. shall I go on?
- A Loving God- anyone who makes a way for you to get to them must love you a lot…. thankful that the Creator of all did that for me…. and for you…. so when I am thankful, that is who gets my thanks… without the Creator and his grace, all of the other things are pointless.
The challenge is on…. can you list thirty???