Category Archives: Fun
Who knew that a speedy little year could teach big and little lessons along the way? Actually, I did… and I learned a lot. Some lessons were new, some just reminders, some I’m glad I learned, some not so glad, some were so bad that I still can taste it (That’d be number 1 on the list), some were bittersweet and some just plain fun…55 things… That is more than one a week for all of you non-math people. Here we go….
6. We are never guaranteed our next breath.
15. Having no car payments…. nice ….having to start the car by lifting the hood and plugging up the battery…. not so nice..
18. Not everyone will reciprocate or maybe even acknowledge your kindness, generosity, care, concern, friendship or love….. it’s okay… just love ’em anyway.
21. Low carb food, like my low carb pancakes, can really taste good…..and that’s not even comparing it to out of date crackers.
24. Finding wild baby animals makes you want to keep them, but they have more chance of survival if you leave them alone….Okay, we didn’t find the monkey but he was just too cute to not include.
28. Grace exemplified is amazing to see, be a part of, experience, receive and feel. It is also amazing to see a loved ones life changed because of it.
37. Surprising co-workers with their favorite something, going to support them away from work, laughing together, praying together and liking each other is not necessarily the norm, even in churches. I love and am proud of my co-workers…They may as well be family… Actually, they pretty much are.
38. Not all American Flags are made in America…
46. I do NOT like politics, political commercials or political party talk… ever… but especially not during election year. I research on a my own and yes, I voted.
47. It becomes overwhelming when I think about children and how many of them, the same ages as my daughters, that are being lured, captured,s old into the Human Trafficking industry… It is a huge worldwide problem and there are ways to help just as we did by purchasing pumpkins where proceeds go to help girls at risk right here in our own state.
48. Traditions change, people change, plans change, scenery changes…nothing lasts forever, not even Hostess but Christ is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.
53. Bacon is the new Salsa… or maybe the new Chocolate… it’s everywhere.
Inspired by another blogger, as I wait for the countdown into a new year, I’ve decided to share my list of 2012 favorites…. feel free to join me with your list!
My favorite snacks of 2012:
- Nabs- Lance Cheese Crackers with Peanut butter… only Lance
- Hershey Kisses (Cherry Cordial flavor)
- Ice Cream
My favorite extinct Hostess product to in 2012:
- Ding Dongs
- Those Orange cupcakes
- The coconutty little donuts
My favorite toes in 2012:
- The big toe
- The pinky toe
- The three in between
My favorite letters of the alphabet in 2012:
My favorite books of 2012:
- The Bible
- Come away My Beloved
- Good Night, Moon
- Don’t let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
- The one I wrote
My favorite candle scents of 2012:
- Bob Evans pancakes
- Pumpkin Pie
- Some clearanced Halloween scent in a black candle
My favorite stores of 2012:
- Old Navy
My favorite words of 2012:
My favorite phrases in 2012:
- I know it’s green, but what else is about it?
- How ’bout cupcake?
- No worries
- We’ll see
- Love you
My favorite experienced car problems of 2012:
- The engine still running when the key is out of the ignition
- The tire off of the rim
- The dead battery
- The door handles breaking off
- The broken windshield wiper on a rainy day
My favorite foods that I cooked in 2012:
- cheese crackers using only cheese
- flax meal bread
- No carb pancakes
My favorite phone apps of 2012:
- Many camera apps
My favorite smells of 2012:
- Fresh baked bread
- Wet earth
- My husband’s cologne… any that he wears
- Moth balls
My most annoying Christmas songs of 2012:
- Last Christmas ( I gave you my heart)…
- Any song sung by scary sounding children’s choirs
- Any Peanuts/Charlie Brown Christmas
My favorite accents of 2012:
- South Dakotan
My favorite weather of 2012:
- Stormy nights
- Cool, crisp fall air
- Cloudless nights
- Rainy days with nowhere to go or be
Happy New Year!
Conversation while watching a tv commercial for the new Hobbit movie.
Chris: Well, thats one movie that I won’t be watching.
Me: Really? Why?
Chris: Just no interest…besides who do you think will really “win” in the end?
Me: The bad hobbits always win….
Chris: What do you mean?
Me: Because their enemies will eventually tire out…
Me: Umm… everyone knows that it takes approximately 12 weeks to break a bad hobbit…… Ba Da Bum! ( my rimshot)
Chris: (with a smile) Very funny
Me: (with a bigger smile) Thank you!
We are loaded with these conversations tonight…..
My Husband, Chris: I can’t sleep again… any suggestions?
Me: Why don’t drink some hot tea and take a hot bath….
Chris: Already taken the hot bath..
Me: (referring to Leah’s favorite calming tea) Well, then how about some “Night Night” Tea
Allison: Yeah, that would be what we call Benadryl…..
Conversation in my car- Driving to pick up Allison at a friend’s house and our time was crunched …..
Me: (handing my phone to Leah) Here, take this and text Allie and tell her to be watching for us and ready to go when we get there.
So a few minutes later…..
Me: (as we are turning onto her friend’s street) Okay, text her again and tell her that we are here….
She did and Allison was waiting and got into the car….
When we approached the first stop sign on our way out of the neighborhood…
Allison: So…. what’s up with the Poopy Pants
Allison: What’s up with the Poopy Pants
Me:(not believing what I’m hearing) What?!
Allison: Poopy Pants
Me: What are you talking about?
Allison: You texted me “Poopy Pants”
Me: Leah!…. What did you text on my phone?
Leah was doubled over in laughter….
Another conversation in the car-
Me: Yes, why?
Allison: Mom, I made great grades in 9th grade and you never paid me… No encouragement… that might explain a whole lot…. You treat her so differently than you did Catie and me when we were her age….
Me: No, not really
Allison: Yes, you do… she gets a new costume each Halloween… Catie and I were 50’s girls for years
Me: No you weren’t. You had new costumes each year but you just didn’t like them…. remember your Joan of Arc costume?
Allison: Yeah, where did you get the outfit, Goodwill?
Me: Uh, maybe….
Allison: And Catie was Pippi Longstocking
Me: That’s because she asked to be Pippi… and you have to admit, it was a great costume
Allison: Mom, you braided her hair to a coat hanger…and put on non-matching socks… and what about Cinderella before and after?
Me: That was a great costume!
Leah: (chiming in from the back seat) It was very creative, Mom
Me: Thank you, Leah…. I think all of them were very creative….
Allison: Creative is the word you use when you don’t want to buy your kids a costume!
Me: I think you’re right! And ‘you can do better’ are the words we use when we don’t want to pay our kids for their good grades…
We all laugh….
(Well, I guess we do get Leah new costumes each year… new to her anyway…)
Okay, I realized that if I don’t do the rest at one time then I probably won’t finish it so I’m just jumping ahead…. Here are the rest of the 30 things I’m thankful for in no particular order….
4. My job– On any given weekend I come home with great stories from the kids that I work with… whether it is a funny story (like the kid who asked if he could say bad words and when I said no, he said to his friend, “@#$%, we can’t say bad words.” or the sweet little girl who insists we call her “Dog”) or a sweet one (the kid who requires a hug from the other party of the dispute after the apology), I always have something great to share. Plus, because of what I do… I pretty much much get to be a kid… I love it.
5. My co-workers– I realize that not too many people can say that they love everyone that they work with … and if they say they love them, they may not like them so much…. But I love and like my co-workers. They are a great group of people who put up with me and love and like me back… at least, I’m pretty sure they do… I also know, not too many have co-workers that feel like family…. I do and am thankful.. (If you see my boss make sure you tell him I said these nice things)
6. My husband– Another one who puts up with me… So few get to see the funny side of him but the man cracks me up… plus he is a great dad and husband. ( You can also tell him I said these nice things. )
7. My freedom– I will be voting tomorrow and realize that for whatever reason, I have been fortunate enough to be born and live in a country that is free.
8. My kids– My girls are such a perfect addition to my life. They are all funny, compassionate, sweet (most of the time… well, okay… sweet to others), they love each other now and someday may become friends with each other (actually, I see it happening already) They aren’t perfect by any means but then again, they have an imperfect mom so what do I expect.
9. Our alphabet– abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz…. there may be a lot of them but thankful there are no ~ or ` or other symbols over the tops of them….plus, I like to write and am glad I don’t have to write in pictures..
10. Flip-Flops– I love the idea of slipping on a pair of flip-flops and letting my feet feel the sun… yeah, leather, canvas and other shoes are great too, but flip-flops are the next best thing to bare feet...
11. Hummingbirds– Our summer is made better by these little guys… They zoom past our heads, flutter around our back porch and though we may sound easy to entertain, they are more fun to watch than most shows on TV.
12. Friends– some to laugh with, some to cry with, some to do both with, some male, some female, some who brighten my day unexpectedly, some who mentor me, some who we learn together…. some who have passed in and out of my life……….all have a special place in my heart
13. My health– thankful that I can walk, talk, and do most anything I want to do because I have good health
14. Ale8– The Central Kentucky soft drink that has made it’s way to a few other places in the country…. I’m pretty sure it is an acquired taste, but for those of us who love it … we really love it. And I’m thankful that they now have Diet and caffeine free, too.
15. Baby Animals– They are just so cute… puppies, kittens, baby rabbits, baby bears, etc… well, except baby narwhals
16. Creativity-I’m a person who loves to create…. whether it be a story, a painting or a sculpted caricature of someone….It is what I love to do… I’m thankful for a creative Creator and amazed at what He created
18. Technology – I’m thankful to live in a day and age where people thousands and thousands of miles away can communicate as if they were next door neighbors. I also love that we can get to them by plane, train or car rather than only a horse or on foot.
19. Chocolate – ‘Nuff said…
20. Modern Medicine – I can imagine that without what we have today, I probably would have been one on the side of the road in need of healing when Christ walked by…. AND – can you imagine surgery without antibacterial items?? that’s what I’m talking about
21. The Bible – I used to never understand it nor care much about the stories from it, but once I began to dig into it with the help of Christ, it changed my world….
22. Music – It can perk up your day, help you worship God, mellow out a crying baby, make memories, sooth a tortured soul, help motivate, help memorize… It is a pretty powerful thing.
23. Grace– I know I’ve already written about it but I’m just doubly thankful that I don’t get what I deserve…. because I can never do enough to get the good portion of deserving all by myself….
24. Fruit-something good for you and tastes good too…. bananas, apples (fuji are my favorite), grapes, kiwi, raisins, watermelon, actually all melons, strawberries, cherries, clementines ….. add a little chocolate to some and then it’s even better…. shall I go on?
25. Humor -sense of humor- glad I have one, even if I am the only one who thinks I’m funny… and laughter, not at the expense of others but wholesome laughter could possibly bring the world together
26. Bug spray– Citronella, flea and tick repellent, after bite….. whichever it is, it was a genius invention
28. My family-my parents, by example taught me how to work through arguments, dance, laugh, love each other, give to others and love God and church….I have no siblings but do have cousins, aunts and uncles… brothers and sisters-in-law, father and mother-in-law (deceased- but wonderfully remembered), a wonderful step mother-in-law…. so many great memories
29. My home– Yes, there are times when I wish I had a bigger yard or one more bedroom or a live in maid, but I am blessed to have what I have and know it
30. A Loving God– anyone who makes a way for you to get to them must love you a lot…. thankful that the Creator of all did that for me…. and for you…. so when I am thankful, that is who gets my thanks… without the Creator and his grace, all of the other things are pointless.
If only November had more days…….. Maybe I should just be thankful all of the time….