Who knew that a speedy little year could teach big and little lessons along the way? Actually, I did… and I learned a lot. Some lessons were new, some just reminders, some I’m glad I learned, some not so glad, some were so bad that I still can taste it (That’d be number 1 on the list), some were bittersweet and some just plain fun…55 things… That is more than one a week for all of you non-math people. Here we go….
In 2012, I learned or was reminded that:
1. If there is an expiration date on a food product and it is expired, particularly if it is over a year and a half after the date, it probably won’t taste good……even crackers…
2. One person CAN touch unseen lives eternally which indirectly changes the world.
3. Dog “shaming” works….. just sayin’
4.Projects that seem little can explode into something big.
5. Drawing and painting on the Sketch Club app are great ways to relieve stress.
6. We are never guaranteed our next breath.
7. Nature is powerful.
8. When nature is powerful often human need is incredibly great.
9. When human need is great, corporate compassion kicks in and other humans become active and help.
10. While other humans help, corporate compassion fades away and we tend to forget about those who needed the help… Even if they still need it.
15. Having no car payments…. nice ….having to start the car by lifting the hood and plugging up the battery…. not so nice..
16. Sometimes, it is difficult not to become discouraged, especially when you try your hardest and still mess up. (Happens more than I like to admit….oops, I think I just admitted that).
17. Nature is beautiful…. even in Kentucky.
18. Not everyone will reciprocate or maybe even acknowledge your kindness, generosity, care, concern, friendship or love….. it’s okay… just love ’em anyway.
19. Facebook is great for connecting long time friends… particularly when one lives in Sweden.
20. Santa Claus can come on New Year’s Eve if he wants (Just stating the facts)
21. Low carb food, like my low carb pancakes, can really taste good…..and that’s not even comparing it to out of date crackers.
22. Being healthy is important… If laughter is great medicine… My family is funny and we laugh at ourselves and each other a lot….. Yep, we are really healthy.
23. Words, even just a few, either good or bad, can have an affect on someone for a long time …..maybe even for life…
24. Finding wild baby animals makes you want to keep them, but they have more chance of survival if you leave them alone….Okay, we didn’t find the monkey but he was just too cute to not include.
25. Flying kites is completely underrated.
26. Enjoying time on the family farm is healthy for the family.
27. Smart phone are lifelines in many cases…. but they can really embarrass you too… i.e. auto-correct (corrected words vanilla and Ha! are the first to come to mind), sending a text to the wrong person, accidentally hitting a button on your phone and realize that you called your co-worker at 1:00am, hitting another button and calling a former co-worker at 7:00am, who now lives in a different time zone, which of course woke him up and then also calling your boss from your pocket without knowing it until he calls you back….. more than once…
28. Grace exemplified is amazing to see, be a part of, experience, receive and feel. It is also amazing to see a loved ones life changed because of it.
29. Regardless of what a 10-year-old says, Butt Paste is not used to glue a baby down to prevent them getting into things.
30. Great people are a part of my church family.
31. Great people are a part of my family.
32. Great people are a part of my friendships.
33. Kids really love art… and flying angry birds
34. Destruction or neglect of buildings that once housed good childhood memories tends to make me melancholy.
35. Apparently those “Meddling Kids” live in my town..
36. Summer Camp is fun… even for counselors and directors…but a wasp sting at camp… particularly inside the nose, hurts like crazy…….Experience talking.
37. Surprising co-workers with their favorite something, going to support them away from work, laughing together, praying together and liking each other is not necessarily the norm, even in churches. I love and am proud of my co-workers…They may as well be family… Actually, they pretty much are.
38. Not all American Flags are made in America…
39. Kentucky has some of the prettiest sunsets ever.
40. Kentucky’s weather is erratic… One day freezing with gloves, heavy coats, etc,
……the next day getting a tan.
41. Kentucky also can have extremely hot summers.
42. If you live to celebrate a centennial birthday, you get a key to the city, a letter from the President, lots and lots of party goers, lots and lots of cards and the whole family to gather together and if you are as sharp as Aunt Emma, then you’ll be able to talk about it for years to come.
43. Even if your child’s school has a bad reputation for being in a rough area, looks like a prison, has a history of poor test scores, has 90% or more free and reduced lunch and all in modular units while renovating….. and the polar opposite of that school is in 1/10 of a mile out of your school district……. if God wants your child to be there for the year then He will do great things with that year… and He has….
44. There is no place like October Court Day… not sure if that is good or bad.
45. It’s fun to reduce, reuse, recycle and upcycle.
46. I do NOT like politics, political commercials or political party talk… ever… but especially not during election year. I research on a my own and yes, I voted.
47. It becomes overwhelming when I think about children and how many of them, the same ages as my daughters, that are being lured, captured,s old into the Human Trafficking industry… It is a huge worldwide problem and there are ways to help just as we did by purchasing pumpkins where proceeds go to help girls at risk right here in our own state.
48. Traditions change, people change, plans change, scenery changes…nothing lasts forever, not even Hostess but Christ is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.
49. One can make just about anything with duck tape and trash.
50. Speaking of our society, sometimes I’m concerned that we are a frog in a kettle…
51. I am proud of and love very much my husband and my sweet girls.
52. Watching loved ones hurt, whether physically, emotionally or spiritually is such a helpless feeling.
53. Bacon is the new Salsa… or maybe the new Chocolate… it’s everywhere.
54. Working with children brings home GREAT stories and lots of laughter and a melted heart when a little one learns your name and says it… Love my job.
55. Though He may seem distant, quiet or even not there at all, though we may question, doubt and even turn away, though we may not like ourselves, may not feel worthy or may not feel we could be loved by God, though through hatred, addictions, a lifestyle, love of things more than God, or any other thing that would create a gap between us and the one who created us, whether we fight it, make our way crawling or run recklessly … God says that when we seek him, we will find him, that is, when we seek him with all of our hearts. That’s a promise.
Interested to see what 2013 has in store…. Well, as long as it doesn’t involve crackers…..